Aloo Gobi Vegan
Aloo Gobi vegan recipe – A quintessential vegetable dish in every Indian household. One that is truly magnificent in it’s simplicity of vegetables – the humble potato and cauliflower – and preparation. A true joy when enjoyed in some wraps or with a traditional feast of daal tadka and chapatti.
Aloo Gobhi – A quintessential dish in every Indian household. One that is truly magnificent in it’s simplicity of vegetables – the humble potato and cauliflower – and preparation. A true joy when enjoyed in some wraps or with a traditional feast of daal tadka and chapatti.
- 2 medium Potatoes – peeled and chopped into 1cm squares
- ¼ of cauliflower – remove the stalk and break into small florets
- Mustard seed oil (or any other oil) – 2 tbsp
- 1 inch ginger – peeled and finely chopped
- 1 or 2 green chilli – cut into big pieces
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – about 1tsp
- Coriander leaves (for garnish)
- Juice of half a lime (or lemon)
- In a heavy base pan or wok, add 1tsp oil and put the cauliflower in. Saute at medium heat till florets are coated in the oil. Then put the lid on and cook for about 5 minutes. Check every now and then and stir the cauliflowers till the florets have a lovely charred colour.
- Remove the cauliflower out of the pan.
- In the same pan add another 1 tsp of oil and add the potatoes. Again sauté till the edges have a crispy look. Do this by putting the lid on and cooking for 7 minutes, check every now and then by gently stirring them and making sure they don’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Remove the potatoes out of the pan.
- Again in the same pan add the rest of the oil, and once a bit warm add ginger, chilli, cumin seeds and turmeric powder. Cook for about 1 minute till the ginger is done.
- Now add the half cooked cauliflower, potatoes and salt and mix it all in so the flavours are all mixed in well.
- Put the lid on and cook for another 5 minutes. Check on the vegetables to be sure that they are gently folded around and don’t catch to the bottom of the pan.
- Once the vegetables are fully cooked, add coriander powder and chilli powder and fold it all together again. Continue to cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Now turn off the heat and squeeze lime juice and garnish with coriander leaves.