Okra Fries! Ah a delicious treat to enjoy this crispy and spicy snack with a cold drink. We have a recipe that will make these okra fries deliciously crispy to be enjoyed by the whole family.
An easy recipe for crispy and spicy okra fries that can be enjoyed as a tasty snack by the entire family.
- Okra – 200gm
- Besan or chickpea flour – 50gm
- Cornflour (for crisp fries) – 15gm
- Salt 1tsp + extra for seasoning
- Chilli powder 1 tsp
- Chaat masala 1 tsp + extra for seasoning
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Finely chopped green chilli 1tsp
- Finely chopped ginger 1 tsp
- Sunflower or Vegetable oil for frying
- Hot Chilli Hot Sprinkle
- Wash the okra under cold water, leave to dry for 30 minutes on a kitchen towel.
- Cut off top and bottom. Then cut into “sticks” of 3-4cm and slit them from the middle 4 ways.
- Put the oil on medium heat in your frying pan.
- Now in a separate bowl, mix the chickpea flour, cornflour, salt, chilli powder, cumin seeds, chaat masala, ginger and chilli. Mix it all together nicely.
- Sprinkle around 2-3 tsp of water all over the okra and then sprinkle half of the dry flour mix all over. Mix with the tips of your fingers.
- Sprinkle another 2-3 tsp of water and add the rest of the flour all over the okra. Mix again with the tip of your fingers.
- The okra mix should be sticky but not covered in the chickpea flour. You should be able to see some bits of okra, some of the sticky flour.
- Now turn the heat on high for 30 seconds and when oil becomes piping hot, start adding 3-4 okra sticks in groups. You should add enough so only 3/4th of your oil is covered with okras (if you add too many fries at the same time, oil will cool down and you won’t get those nice crispy fries).
- Turn down the heat to medium and cook for about 2 minutes while turning the fries around.
- Now for 1 minute or so, turn the heat on high and flash fry the fries at a high heat till they become golden brown.
- Take the fries out on a kitchen towel and while they are still hot, sprinkle a pinch of salt, chaat masala and Hot Chilli Hot Sprinkle. You can also squeeze a few drops of lime juice for extra tang.
Enjoy your okra fries!
To watch the full video to make these okra fries, visit our Facebook page here