Tabbouleh quinoa has got to be one of my favourite salads ever - refreshing, healthy but most importantly delicious. Originally from the Middle East, this recipe has been adapted across the world and the best part is that it is so flexible, you can just make it your own. So here's our cheeky twist on this simple recipe. It may take sometime to prepare but don't let that put you off. You can make it in a big batch and it tastes better when kept overnight in the fridge.
Tabbouleh Quinoa recipe to make a hearty bowl of salad that is vegan, gluten-free and healthy. This tabbouleh can be prepared in advance and be served on the side of some wraps or on top of romaine lettuce boats.
- 2 Bunches of fresh, flat leaf parsely
- 1 Medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 Ripe tomato, de-seeded and finely chopped
- Half a cucumber, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 70 gm quinoa, cooked to instruction
- Juice of 1 lime
- 70 ml of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 tbsp of Silly Sesame Sprinkle
- 1 tbsp Hot Chilli Hot Sprinkle
- The most important step in this tabbouleh quinoa recipe is in the preparation of the parsley. Pick out the leaves (the stalk can be used for juicing), wash them and spread them out on a clean tea towel for drying out. It is very important that the parsley dries out before mixing with other ingredients. It is best to do this a few hours before making the salad.
- In a separate bowl, prepare the bulgar wheat by adding 140ml of boiling hot water and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Mix with a fork, cover with a lid and leave for about 20 minutes. Once done, gently fluff with a fork.
- Once the parsley is dried, chop it up roughly.
- To prepare the dressing for the salad, in a small glass jar, mix up the olive oil, lime juice and salt. Give it a nice shake.
- In a large bowl, mix the onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, parsley, quinoa and the salad dressing. Give the salad a nice mix and leave for atleast 1 hour in the fridge before serving. This helps with the ingredients to absorb the dressing really well.
- Just before serving, generously sprinkle the Silly Sesame and Hot Chilli Hot Sprinkles on top to add a warm, nutty note.