Tear and Share Garlic Bread
I sent her some Smelly Garlic last week, and here is the superb tear-and-share bread ring recipe that she created for us ! You can eat this one with your eyes (or better re-create in your kitchen)
Tear and Share Smelly Garlic Bread
A delicious tear and share garlic bread recipe that is worthy of the centre place at your next dinner with family and friends. Contributed by Chintal Kakaya, using our Smelly Garlic Pickle.
- 500g strong white bread flour
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp sugar
- 7g fast acting dried yeast
- 3.5 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 300ml Warm Water
- 3 Tbsp of Smelly Garlic pickle
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- Handful of finely chopped fresh coriander
For the bread
For the filling
- In your mixer bowl add the flour, sugar, salt and mix together. Stir in the yeast and pour oil.
- Using the dough hook and on low speed mix the dry ingredients. Slowly start pouring water into the mix, once it comes together increase the speed slightly to bind into dough.
- On speed 2 knead the dough for about 8 minutes.
- The dough should have a smooth surface. Grease a bowl, place dough into the bowl and cover with oiled cling film. Leave the dough to rise until double in size about 1-1.5 hours.
- On a floured surface, remove the dough and knock it back. Roll it out into a long rectangle, spread garlic chutney leaving a small gap around the edges. Sprinkle chilli and coriander.
- Starting from the long edge away from you start rolling the dough towards you (like Swiss roll). Ensure the edges are rolled under and not at the top or sides. Join the two ends together to form a ring.
- Prepare floured baking sheet and slowly transfer the bread ring onto it.
- Using a sharp knife cut slices into the bread as shown in picture.
- Cover the bread with cling film and allow to rest for another 45 minutes to an hour.
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees C or 200 for fan assisted. Place your bread ring in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 200 degree c or 180 for fan assisted and bake for a further 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Once you reduce the temperature quickly open and shut your oven to let out excess heat.
- Once baked remove from oven and transfer onto a wire rack to cool. Your tear and share bread ring is ready to be served.
What we love about this recipe is that it’s one for sharing! Imagine sitting with your group of friends and tearing through that warm, freshly baked bread – that’s what we are about – making stories over food.