Turkey Kiev with Coconut & Peanut Sprinkle
Turkey Kiev with Coconut & Peanut
This turkey kiev recipe has been contributed by Duncan Parsonage
Duncan spotted our Smelly Garlic mentioned by another food blogger and it caught his fancy. We sent Duncan some samples, and next we knew he was creating magic in the kitchen with Smelly Garlic and Pecky Peanut.
Here is his mouth watering recipe for turkey kiev.
- 750g Minced British turkey leg meat (vegetarian suggestion in recipe)
- 40g Crispy fried onions
- 2 Heaped teaspoons of medium or hot curry powder
- 250g Pack Philadelphia cheese
- 2 Heaped teaspoons of Smelly Garlic pickle
- 1 Teaspoon of salt
- 1 egg
- Some plain flour
- 60gm Nutter Coconut Sprinkle
- 60gm Pecky Peanut Sprinkle
- Combine the minced turkey, curry powder, salt and fried onions in a bowl. Mix thoroughly, imagine you are kneading bread dough! The idea is that the spices are combined, but also the meat fibres are strectched so they become elastic. You won’t need eggs to bind- trust me. Rest the meat mixture in the fridge whilst you prepare the cheesy, garlicy filling for your Kiev. As a vegetarian option, you can use mashed boiled chickpeas, bound together with some gram-flour
- Beat together the cream cheese and the Smelly Garlic pickle.
- Remove the meat from the fridge and divide into 4-5 equal balls. Here’s a cheffy tip: stretch out some cling film on a damp work surface to work from. This keeps things less messy, but also helps with picking the finished Kiev’s up.
- With wet hands, flatten the meat mixture into circles about the size of a coaster.
- Spoon out the cheesy, garlic, chilli stuffing sharing it out equally between each meat disk.
- Carefully, without making holes gather up the edges of the turkey meat to enclose the stuffing. If you get a leak, just pinch off a piece of the meat and perform a repair job- simple!
- Chill thoroughly. It’s worth putting the Kiev’s onto a clean plate and popping into the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
- For the coating, combine Nutter Coconut sprinkle and Pecky Peanut sprinkle. Crack a couple of eggs, and have some plain flour ready to dredge ’em.
- Flour, egg, Nutter Coconut, Pecky Peanut.. Repeat..
- Heat some sunflower oil in a frying pan and add a good couple of glugs of sesame oil for extra nuttiness. Fry until golden on each side.
- Transfer to a roasting tray and pop into a hot oven, 180 deg fan, to finish them off. They shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes. Ta-da!!
Enjoy the kiev with some fresh green salad.