Avocado Paratha! Yes you heard that right, Avocado Paratha. We have created this really easy recipe to use up those over ripe avocados from your fruit bowl and stir up these delicious parathas that are sure to go down a treat with the whole family.
To watch our recipe video of our Avocado paratha, click here
- Chapatti flour – 1.5 cups
- Millet flour – ¼ cup (optional)
- Sorghum flour – ¼ cup (optional)
- Finger Millet flour – ¼ cup (optional) – If you do not have any of the optional flours, replace with equal quantity of chapatti flour
- Ripe Avocado – 1 mashed
- Handful of chopped greens, you can use swiss chard, coriander or spinach
- Medium boiled potato – 1 mashed – You can replace the potato with an extra avocado
- Ginger – 1 inch, peeled and chopped
- Green chilli – ½ finely chopped
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp (optional)
- Ajwain or carom seeds – 1tsp
- Nigella seeds – 1tsp
- Sesame seeds – 1.5 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1.5 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1.5 tsp
- Salt – 1.5 tsp
- Ghee or Olive oil
- Lukewarm water
Step 1 – To make this avocado paratha, start by bringing all the dry flour together with the tips of your fingertips. Season with salt and mix again.
Step 2 – Add the avocado, greens, potato, ginger, chilli, all seeds and chilli powder. Dry mix with the tips of your fingertips breaking any big pieces of avocados or potatos
Step 3 – Start adding a bit of the water and mix the dough together. Knead the dough with more water till you get a firm dough. Let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
Step 4 – Heat a heavy based tawa or pan on medium heat.
Step 5 – Take a ball of the dough (a bit bigger than your fist size). Roll between your palms to make a smooth pattie.
Step 6 – Roll the pattie in dry chapatti flour and start rolling with a rolling pin. You want to make a paratha about 8-9 inches in diameter and not too thick. Make sure the paratha does not stick to your base.
Step 7 – Now put the paratha on your pan and leave for a minute. Flip the paratha and leave for another minute.
Step 8 – Now spread about ¼ tsp of ghee or olive oil on each side of the paratha and press down with a flat spatula to cook the avocado paratha. You should be able to see brown charred colour on some parts of the paratha.
Step 9 – Repeat for the rest of the dough